10 Oct Control Direction When the Ball is Above the Feet
“WHAT IF?” My ball comes to rest in the fairway above my feet?
First determine the distance to your target. In making your club selection you will want to choose a shorter club with more loft as the ball will fly lower and travel farther than normal. If you have to carry a hazard that is between you and your target, be certain your club choice will have enough loft and distance.
Next, place the ball in the normal position for the club you have selected. The hill will not affect your ball position as you make this shot. Because your club will sole to the ground with the heel of the club lower than the toe of the club, the ball will draw right to left. Be sure to aim right of your target.
Stand taller and closer than normal to the ball because of the slope. Grip down on the club for more control.
Take a three-quarter swing while keeping your shoulders level with the ground. To get a feel of what it will be like when hitting this shot, take a practice swing and make contact with the ground in a similar position as the ball lies.
Qs for this shot:
- Determine the distance to your target.
- Select a shorter club than normal.
- Aim the ball right of the target. The ball will draw from right to left.
- Play the ball position where you normally play the shot with the club you have chosen.
- Stand taller and grip down on the club.
- Take a three-quarter swing.